Amarillo is the largest city within Texas Panhandle while also being the Potter County’s seat. Like many other parts of Texas, drug use is posing a big challenge to not only the users but also their families and the government. In a state that boasts of the best collection of Western artifacts and art, canyons, and Cadillacs, there lies the dark side – that’s drug abuse problem. Heroin isn’t the only substance problem in Amarillo, other illicit drugs such as cocaine, crystal meth, marijuana, and prescription drugs are frequently abused and they can land a person in prison or they can lead to a fatal overdose. Between 2014 and 2016, there were 57 deaths in a population of 100,000 people resulting from a drug overdose in Potter and while not one of the highest numbers, it says something about the problem of drug abuse in the city and Potter County in general.
Drug users and addicts need to realize the importance of seeking substance use disorder treatment Amarillo area to prevent the repercussions that come with drug use. Rehab centers in Amarillo are helping drug users to reclaim back their lost life through tailored rehab programs and treatment options. Without seeking the help of Amarillo drug rehab centers, drug users would continue to suffer and families would be broken. An Amarillo drug rehab that understands the miseries of an addict can help patients discover a new life that is full of meaning and purpose. Most rehab facilities in Amarillo have the interest of the patient at heart and understand the financial hardships the patients go through when using drugs and during the time they are seeking treatment.
Common Abused Drugs in Amarillo, Texas
Methamphetamine seems to have made a comeback in Amarillo and other parts of Texas as Amarillo Police Chief Ed Drain says, “Meth problem is out of control.” Amarillo drug rehab centers have a deal with many patients who need help for addiction to meth. Meth that comes from Mexico is regarded as highly toxic and powerful and it’s a real threat to the health of Amarillo residents. The average lifespan of an addict of meth is less than 10 years. The number of people addicted to opioid painkiller may have reduced because of the attempts made to reduce indiscriminate prescription of the drugs; however, there have been changes in drug use patterns. Many opioid addicts have been pushed toward heroin. Drug treatment centers in Amarillo have been witnessing the waves of such changes in drug use with many people seeking treatment for heroin and related substance use disorder. Alcohol is also another problem in the city and those struggling with alcohol abuse and addiction need treatment at drug rehab Amarillo TX.
Recent Statistic of Drug Use in Texas
- The National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) reports indicate that 7.56 percent of teens aged between 12 and 17 said they have used an illicit drug in the past month while 7.54 percent of adults said they did use a drug within the same period in Texas as of 2016.
- In 2016 about 10.47 percent of teens said that they had used marijuana in the past year compared to 5.91 percent of adults in Texas.
- About 5.94 percent of teenagers said they had taken marijuana in the past month compared to 5.91 percent of adults in 2016 in Texas.
- About 0.57 of teens reported having used cocaine in the past year while the percentage of adults was 1.51 percent in 2016 in Texas. In teens, heroin use in the past year was reported in 0.04 percent of the teen’s population while adults reported 0.22 percent usage in Texas in 2016.
- The percentage of Texan teens that consumed alcohol in the past month was 8.86 percent compared to 51.74 percent of adults. Binge or heavy drinking was reported in 4.95 percent of teens while 25.94 percent of adults were involved in the same substance use disorder. Also, 4.22 percent of teens reported misusing pain relievers compared to 4.51 percent of adults.
- The 2015- 2016 NSDUHs also show that about 3.16 percent of teens and 2.31 percent of adults reported having illicit drug use disorder in the past year in Texas.
- The percentage of teens and adults needing drug treatment at specialty facilities for use of illicit drugs in the past year were 3.06 percent and 2.04 percent respectively in Texas.
- Roughly, 18 percent of adults reported having engaged in excessive or heavy drinking, also referred to as binge drinking in Potter County, Texas-based on 2016 data.
- In the period between 2012 and 2016, the deaths arising from the use of alcohol in Potter County were 40 out of the total driving death numbering 137, which represents 29 percent.
Drug abuse requires quick intervention to help patients. Alcohol treatment centers Amarillo City in Texas help patients get out of the menace and start living a sober life. Patients who have been through drug rehab centers in Amarillo may want to seek support groups when recovering. AA meetings Amarillo are helpful to those on road to recovery from alcohol abuse. You can seek Amarillo AA meetings that help you remain sober and continue leading a life free of alcohol and drugs. Make sure you have an Amarillo AA meeting schedule that best suits your lifestyle and needs at a time when you are recovering.
College Students Substance Use Disorder in Texas
A biennial Texas Survey of Substance Use Among College Students conducted by the University of Texas in 2015 indicated that about 70 percent of underage students had taken alcohol in the past year when compared to 90 percent of students considered to be in the legal drinking age. Of the 20,110 respondents, 4 percent said that they were heavy drinkers. CASA Columbia says that about 100,000 college students are assaulted and raped out of alcohol use and about 700,000 are physically assaulted by their colleagues said to be under the influence. Abuse of drugs and alcohol by college students has devastating effects. It puts the students at risk of having unsafe sex, injuring themselves, driving under the influence, and adversely affecting their academic performance.
An important note: the best rehab for you may not be the closest one to your home. If you or someone you know needs rehab, count on one of the many Abilene rehab programs available. Brownsville rehabs are also available, as well as rehabs in the Austin area. Talk to a Intake Coordinator
Take The First Step Towards Recovery
Talk to a Intake Coordinator
Types of Treatment for Substance Use Disorder in Amarillo, TX
People struggling with addiction and drug abuse should seek help at a rehab in Amarillo.
There are different treatment options available for patients and they include Non 12 step rehab in Amarillo and dual diagnosis rehab in Amarillo. The kind of drug rehab in Amarillo a patient enrolls in should meet their individual needs. Some patients would benefit from a luxury rehab in Amarillo that offers a serene, calm environment. During the initial stages of treatment, patients are taken through detox treatment to help get rid of traces of substances in their body. A medical detox in Amarillo helps patients deal with the withdrawal symptoms associated with abruptly ending use of illicit substances or alcohol. Patients can pay for rehab through private health care plans.
- Detox Programs: The first step to overcoming an addiction to drugs or alcohol is to go through detox. Attending a medical detox Amarillo program is a great idea. You will get medical supervision to help you through the withdrawal symptoms. They will keep you as comfortable as possible through the detox process. The detox programs are available at many rehab centers in Amarillo.
- 12 Steps Program: These programs have been helpful for millions of addicts around the world. With so many people having an addiction in Amarillo, TX, there are plenty of 12 Step programs available to give them the help they need. Following a 12 Step program is one way to stay on track, focused, and committed. The alcoholics anonymous Amarillo and narcotics anonymous Amarillo both follow the 12 Steps.
- Non 12 Step Programs: 12 Step programs are not right for everyone. Some people become extremely frustrated with these types of programs. The non 12 Step programs still focus on helping people live a clean, sober, and recovering lifestyle. By using therapies that are evidence-based, addicts can overcome their addiction. Therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy, TMS therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, group therapy, individual therapy, neurofeedback, and other non 12 step programs have helped addicts live a clean and sober lifestyle.
- Dual Diagnosis Programs: There are also dual diagnosis programs that help people detox and get into recovery. In these programs, the addict will receive help and treatment to overcome their addiction, along with a mental health disorder. They may struggle with an anxiety disorder, stress disorder, PTSD, depression, schizophrenia, or another mental health disorder, in addition to their addiction. There are many Amarillo rehabilitation centers that offer dual diagnosis programs.
- Luxury Rehab: This is another option for someone looking to overcome an addiction. Luxury rehab generally has more amenities than other rehab centers. You might have massage therapy, yoga, on-site chefs, and additional services. As the name suggests, you will be staying in a more luxurious rehab with this type of program.
Paying For Rehab In The Amarillo, TX Area
Most people who are thinking about attending Amarillo drug rehab centers or alcohol rehab Amarillo want to know how they are going to pay for the treatment. There are many ways someone might pay for alcohol or drug rehab centers in Amarillo. Some of the options might include the following:
- Private medical insurance
- Employment insurance
- Loan from family or friends
- Personal savings
- Government help
- Addiction recovery program help
- Payment plans
There are many options for paying for Amarillo drug rehab or alcohol rehab. When you call into the rehab in Amarillo, ask what the options are at their facility. Each individual Amarillo rehab may have different payment options available. If you think that traveling to Texas, maybe even Austin, Texas then give us a call and find out more about Willow Springs Recovery, our addiction treatment facilities in Texas.
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.